Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Another post in Florence

Been taking it easy here in Florence. Today I have experienced my first line to get into a museum during this whole trip. I went to see the Uffizi art gallery today, took about 25 to 30 minutes to get in and the audioguides sold out before I could get one. The gallery itself was alright, a lot of 14th 15th century paintings depicting bible stories and christ. They have the painting with the naked lady on a sea shell in the middle of the ocean, Monty Python used it in a sketch or movie I believe. Today I plan on going to the train station after this post and reserve a couchette to Wein (somewhere in Austria I believe). Then from that train station I go to Prague. After that I am going to check out the Duomo, I passed it later today and there was a huge line to get in. Fun. Last night I went to an Irish pub called Dublins. Had 3 Guinness and did not really want a fourth, but if I had one more I would get a free Guinness scarf, so I got a fourth and the scarf. The food here has been great, last night I spent 35 euros (the record for most expensive dinner in Europe so far, and this time I was not drunk so I could enjoy it.) on bruschetta, a tomato soup that looked like it was made by putting peices of bread in a bowl with olive oil and tomatos and the smashed into a thick paste. Did not look good, but tasted very nice. I then had Veal with french fries and was too stuffed to have a dessert. Had the most expensive wine they served in a cup (8 euros), I can taste the difference between it and a 5 dollar bottle of wine at home, but I still do not like wine that much. Lots of little restaraunts where you can pick up a slice of pizza to go for cheap, I do this for lunch usually. Surprisingly, the free breakfast offered at the hostel is very good, I actually get up before 9am everyday to get it. The weather has been very nice yesterday and today. The sun is out today and yesterday it did not rain. A pair of Indians (from India) are sharing a room with me. They told me it was 55 rupees (I think thats their currency) for one Euro and that this trip was very expensive for them. Made me realize my 1.30 for 1 Euro was not really that bad.

Been taking a lot of pictures here, very photogenic place. With Brussels it was hard because the electrical lines for the trains were always in the way of neat buildings and stuff. I have not been taking as many pictures during this trip as I thought I would.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home